Wednesday, November 27, 2013

dear asics

Dear Asics,

I love your shoes. I truly do. Every pair of shoe I've run in since I was fitted properly at a local running store have been Asics. Since then I've gone through at least 20 pairs. Some have been Kayanos, some have been 2100 series, a trail running pair, a Gel-Lyte pair, and most recently a couple pairs of 2000's.

When a pair has done it's job of getting me through training for and running a marathon, they are demoted to "everyday" shoes. A new pair comes out of the box and takes it's first spin. (After I smell it first. Please don't judge, there is something wonderful about the smell of a brand new pair of runners!)

I am always satisfied with your products. I am able to wear the shoes right out of the box and they fit perfectly and comfortably. While training for Boston, I pulled a brand new pair out and headed off on an 18mi training run. No blisters, no hotspots, just a perfect fit.

notice the front of the left shoe
If someone asks for a shoe recommendation, I tell them Asics. I love the narrower fit along with a roomy toe box. I love the bright colors. I don't always love the price. And that's where this letter and my dilemma comes into play. I go through two pairs of shoes a year - that's not a lot...but it is $240+ each year. So, I typically will get one pair a year at a local running store and one pair at a box store (Dicks, Sports Authority, etc) or Amazon.com. Which is where I purchased my latest pair that after two runs - just TWO! - began coming unstitched. Unfortunately, I had purchased them in anticipation of my previous shoes being demoted and had passed the 30 day return window.
holey shoes!

I am disappointed that my current shoes are literally falling apart, but I know that it's a combination of my fault for purchasing them through Amazon.com and the manufacturers fault for poor construction. I will continue to wear Asics and recommend them to anyone who will listen. But I will no longer be a sucker for a "deal" price from an online outlet.
reinforcement and defectiveness

Additionally, I appreciate the reinforcement on the inside of the shoe just after the toe box. My former pairs all developed holes in that spot and I noticed on my current (defective) pair that will hopefully not be a problem.


Thanks for making supportive, solid shoes.
Angela 




No comments: