Thursday, January 2, 2014

two...so far

Well, happy new year to you! The Northeast is celebrating by welcoming another snowstorm - this one bringing about 15in. As I sit here at my desk, I am watching the flakes get bigger and come down faster. Yipee. I like the snow, but it just makes training runs more difficult. And sometimes I resort to going to the gym for long runs - 15mi on a treadmill is not fun (something I learned in 2013).

"Training runs for what?" you may be wondering. The very best motivation for sticking with my training (and staying sane) through the cold, snowy months is by signing up for a race. This year, I've signed up for two...so far.

The Black Cat 10miler on March 1st is held in Salem. The course will be a familiar one to me as it is one I have run many, many times. From historic downtown Salem up to Marblehead Neck and back. It's a beautiful course and I'm excited to run with other people this route I typically run alone!

The Maine Coast Marathon is on May 11th - aka Mother's Day - and will begin in Kennebunk, into and around Kennebunkport (perhaps President Bush-the first one-will be at the vacation home!), and on into Biddeford. Judging from the website the name is very fitting as most of the course is along the ocean providing beautiful views to distract runners from the pain only a marathon can produce. I hope to run this one with (but not really with) my friend John (indispensable in my own training for Boston) who will be trying to qualify for Boston.

If you're interested in racing and are looking for someone to run with, let me know and sign up for one of these two!

No comments: