Monday, September 22, 2014

wicked

This past Saturday was the Wicked Half Marathon in Salem, MA. Despite the ridiculously early start time (7am), it was a great race! Well executed, friendly volunteers and a beautiful course.

The day started at 5am when I woke up to make breakfast, consisting of two small sweet potatoes and coffee. (More on why it wasn't a bagel or some other carb-loaded bread-y food in another post.) Steve picked Jayme and I up at 6am and we were on our way - just as the sun was coming up.

The race started and ended at Salem Willows. The course took us into downtown Salem, up Rt 114 into Marblehead, past Devereux Beach, and around Marblehead Neck. If you look to the right when first entering the Neck, you can see a beautiful skyline of Boston and the coast over the ocean. The Neck is a bit hilly and this proved to be the toughest part of the race for both Steve and Jayme.   

Luckily, we had some fans waiting for us at different spots. Kirsten, Jon-Mark, and Nevaeh showed up at a few different spots to offer some high-fives and encouragement. That is always much appreciated!! 

I stayed with Steve for most of the race; until the last half mile when Jayme caught up to us. I ran the last half mile with her - and she jumped right in front of me at the last minute to beat me... - then headed back onto the course to run in with Steve. Somehow, I must have gotten too close to the timing mats too many times because I do not appear in the official results. :( There is photographic proof that I was there, though!

I would definitely consider doing this one again. Even though it was such an early start. I loved running this loop (I often have for training runs) and I loved running with friends!! Up next, on Oct 5th is Smuttynose with Brenda! Can't wait!

Here's a little before and after:

No comments: