Tuesday, April 19, 2016

a favorite day

For the past 15yrs, one of my favorite days of the year is a "holiday" I never knew existed before moving to the northeast. That's because it isn't a thing outside Massachusetts. Patriot's Day - the day Paul Revere warned "the British are coming, the British are coming!"

Lexington and Concord go all out with re-enactments VERY early in the morning and further celebrations throughout the day. Boston and the surrounding area celebrate with a marathon. Not just a marathon, but The Marathon.

In years past, I've attended and watched runners cross that famous finish line. I've cheered from my own home as racers (elites and average, everyday runners) slogged through the difficult miles. And in 2012, I got the chance to be one of those runners.

I will tell you - everything they say about this race is true. It's not just hype, it's all for real. There is no other marathon like it. And after the tragedy in 2013, there may be even more reverence and excitement and pride at this race.

If I'm being 100% honest, I would like to run this again someday...

For now, I'm focused on what's next: Shipyard Maine Coast Half Marathon on May 14th. I ran the full back in 2014 and absolutely loved it - so I'm excited to be participating in the half in just a few weeks.

And I'm not just running for myself. I'm running in support of women suffering from fistula to get the care and help they need - surgery, aftercare, and emotional support. I'm running specifically with Hope for our Sisters, an organization founded and run by my friend, Brooke.

It costs about $600 for a woman to receive a surgery to repair the damage to her body - and that's how much I'd like to raise. Would you consider a donation? Every little bit helps.

Here's my personal fundraising page.

Thank you!

No comments: