Wednesday, November 2, 2011

small races, morning runs and birthdays are so fun

I have run races that are HUGE (45,000 - Chicago) and races that are smaller (400 - Run for All Ages) but this past Saturday was the smallest I've ever run.  And it was also a ton of fun. 

On Saturday morning 60 people gathered at a small church in South Hamilton for the inaugural Freedom 5K.  It was super chilly, a little breezy and a bit cloudy.  But we were all there for a great cause:  Route One Ministries.  It was a fun course, not perfectly flat but not challenging either.  There was lots of raffle prizes, yummy goodies at the finish and great tshirts.  Well done, Route One, well done.  I can't wait for next year!

Good luck finding me in the picture below!  :)


Freedom 5K runners/walkers
Another recent rediscovery of something fun:  Morning Runs.  I've mentioned before on this blog that I am not necessarily functional until I've had that first cup of coffee.  However, my roommate mentioned she'd like to run more and would get up every Mon, Wed, Fri and run with me if I was willing.  How could I say no to a consistent running buddy?!  So every M, W, F we get up at 5:30 (okay, 5:45...5:50!) and head out in the dark, cold neighborhood.  It's gotten to the point where I enjoy it so much, I'm getting up on Tues and Thurs and running that early by myself.  It gets it out of the way, sets a tone to my day of being productive and active.  I'd like to say that it's so nice and peaceful at that time of day...but quite honestly, it's not!  Sure the lake is still and there's not many other runners/walkers out and about, but there is already a lot of car traffic.  Just today, I knew it was going to be a rough ride in to work because I could see the highway backed up already...at 630am!  Oh, it's also very VERY cool (every morning!) to see the sunrise.  I am never not amazed with nature and the splendor of it (even when it's a freak Nor'easter in October).

Oh, one more thing:  Sunday is my birthday!  :)  In honor of turning 32 (I know you're surprised...you thought I was turning 25), I plan to run 32 miles this week.  It doesn't sound like much...but when I'm not really training for anything there really isn't a reason to run quite so many.  But I'm already at 16 for the week so just 16 more to go!

No comments: